The Essentials of Compostable Packaging
Developed by The Sustainable Packaging Coalition®
The Essentials of Compostable Packaging is an immersive foundational course that explores the basics of composting, the current state of composting infrastructure, residential and commercial access, as well as best practices for compostable packaging design, labeling, testing, and certification.
This course discusses key concepts like the difference between biodegradability and compostability, in addition to providing a nuanced analysis of compost manufacturers’ views on compostable packaging.
With the numerous benefits and challenges that compostable packaging can bring to a composting facility, the course also provides critical insight into perspectives of compost manufacturers and how to best utilize lab testing, field testing, and certification programs to ensure that compostable products truly break down.
- Basics of Composting – Understanding compostable materials
- Access & Infrastructure – On-the-ground look at composting programs
- Design & Labeling – Strategies for communicating compostability
- Testing & Certification – Lab and field testing for packaging
Course length: 65 minutes
After taking this course, the Learner will be able to:
- Define the criteria for “compostable” packaging
- Recognize what kind of compostable packaging is preferred by composting facilities
- Identify which compostable packaging certifications require lab testing or field testing
What learners are saying:
- Absolutely a great learning tool.
- The course was extremely informational
- Excellent background and introduction to the different kinds of composting
- Essentials of Compostable Packaging helped me understand why non-compostable materials are considered contaminants.
- I especially enjoyed the business profiles, such as Taco Time, where compostability is part of their strategic vision, and they have successfully impacted top-line sales.
The Essentials of Compostable Packaging is included in the online subscription to The Essentials of Sustainable Packaging.