The Essentials of Bioplastics
Developed by The Sustainable Packaging Coalition®
Part of the full Essentials of Sustainable Packaging Training ProgramSubscribe Now
The Essentials of Bioplastics dives into the diverse family of bio-based and biodegradable plastics. This course covers sourcing and end-of-life considerations for bio-based and biodegradable plastics. With both recyclable and compostable bioplastics on the market, the Essentials of Bioplastics explores strategies for communicating this complexity to consumers.
In addition, the course examines streamlined life cycle assessments to better understand the trade-offs between various environmental impact categories. It also explores the standards and certifications that are relevant to bioplastics marketing claims.
To put it all in context, the Essentials of Bioplastics also considers how and why companies have set corporate goals around bioplastics and integrated bioplastics into packaging and product portfolios.
- The Basics of Bioplastics – Understanding the family of bioplastics
- “Drop-in” Bioplastics – Today’s most prevalent type of bioplastic
- Biodegradable Bioplastics – Key considerations for biodegradability
- Innovations in Bioplastics – New materials and properties for emerging bioplastics
- Marketing Claims – Standards and certifications for products
Course length: 1 hour 15 minutes
After taking this course, the Learner will be able to:
- Define the terms “bio-based,” “compostable” and “biodegradable”
- Evaluate the environmental tradeoffs in the life cycle phases of bioplastics
- Recognize the characteristics of various industry standards and certifications
What learners are saying:
- Great course. Easy to follow and understand.
- Excellent overview course, provides good basic info without a big-time commitment.
- This whole course was very beneficial and applicable to my role … All was valuable knowledge!
- Good emphasis on the environmental trade-offs with bioplastics.
- This was my favorite course so far!
The Essentials of Material Health is included in the online subscription to The Essentials of Sustainable Packaging.Subscribe Now