The Essentials of Reusable Packaging
Developed by The Sustainable Packaging Coalition®
Part of the full Essentials of Sustainable Packaging Training ProgramSubscribe Now
The Essentials of Reusable Packaging examines the exciting new space of reusable and refillable primary packaging, with insight into how companies can experiment with various reuse models.
The course identifies key trends that are driving new corporate commitments to and experimentation with reusable and refillable packaging. It looks at whether consumers are ready to transition away from single-use behaviors, and what counts as reusable packaging. The course outlines the important environmental considerations behind switching to reusable packaging. Key life cycle analysis principles are examined through the example of switching from a single-use, lighter-weight material to heavier-weight durable packaging. Next, it dives into what makes for successful reuse and refill programs, such as pricing and deposits, incentives, reverse logistics, health codes, and sanitization. Throughout the course, the Essentials of Reusable Packaging shares numerous case studies of product innovations, new business models, and startups creating new reusable packaging solutions. Finally, the course provides resources and tools for getting started with reusable packaging, including platforms and partners that companies can engage with to accelerate their reusable pilots.
- Trends and Reuse Models – What’s driving interest in reusable packaging and how reuse is being facilitated
- Life Cycle Considerations – How reusable packaging’s product footprint is affected by material choices, packaging weight, and the frequency of reuse
- Refill and Reuse Logistics – The mechanics of setting up and running effective reuse programs
- Tools for Getting Started – Resources for understanding, accelerating, and adopting reuse business models
Course length: 1 hour and 19 minutes
After taking this course, the Learner will be able to:
- Outline the consumer purchasing and regulatory trends that are driving interest in and corporate commitments to reusable packaging
- Identify the most common reuse and refill business models
- Analyze the life cycle considerations associated with heavier-weight reusable packaging
- Outline the operational changes and reverse logistics that need to be addressed for successful reusable and refillable packaging programs
From the course: