FlexPack Recovery Challenge
The Sustainable Packaging Coalition and Closed Loop Partners have teamed up to challenge the best and brightest entrepreneurs to uncover solutions to one of the most important challenges in sustainable packaging through our joint FlexPack Recovery Challenge.
The production of multi-material flexible packaging is growing exponentially, but there are a lack of recycling and recovery options. So we teamed up to look for new innovations that will allow flexible packaging comprised of several materials to be recovered and re-used or re-processed for use in making new packaging or other products.
Startups and entrepreneurs from all over the world entered the Challenge with a wide variety of recovery technology and business models. The finalists selected are representative of the geographical and technological scope of innovators working to solve the problem of recovery options for multi material flexible packaging. Working with academic and industry advisors, Closed Loop Partners and the SPC selected the following companies as finalists:
Read our full press release about the finalists
Meet the finalists in person and see who will win at SPC Impact 2019!
FlexPack Recovery Challenge Showcase
April 2nd, 1 – 3 PM
Attendees must be registered for SPC Impact. Learn more about the conference and book your ticket at www.spcimpact.com.
One winner will receive:
- AWARD: You will be presented with a trophy on stage at SPC Impact as part of the Event Showcase, where you will receive special press attention.
- DEDICATED COMMUNICATIONS: You will receive a special feature in the SPC and CLP newsletters, sent to over 1,000+ professionals and also featured on these organizations’ websites.
- MENTORSHIP: You will be placed in a mentorship program jointly administered by the Center for the Circular Economy and the Sustainable Packaging Coalition, including dedicated time with staff in both organizations to develop sustainability and economic considerations for their innovations and the possibility to explore further opportunities for investment and pilot projects
- ONE YEAR OF SPC MEMBERSHIP, a $2,750+ value including free access to SPC conferences, educational resources, an extensive network of 250+ leading companies with commitments to sustainable packaging, and a special opportunity to engage with the SPC’s Industry Leadership Committee on Multi-Material Flexible Recovery.
Innovations were assessed against multiple categories, including the ability to process commingled multi-material flexible packaging with variable composition, market scalability and economic viability, and overall sustainability, and alignment with circular economy and sustainable materials management principles.
Finalists will be assessed by Challenge Judges, with input from Challenge Advisors, and Innovation Parters.
- Adam Gendell, Associate Director, SPC
- Tristanne Davis, Project Manager, SPC
- Ellen Martin, VP Impact and Strategic Initiatives, Closed Loop Partners
- Kate Daly, Executive Director, Center for Circular Economy, Closed Loop Partners
- Brad Rodgers, R&D Director – Discovery, PepsiCo Food Packaging
- Rachel Goldstein, Global Sustainability Reporting Senior Manager, Mars, Incorporated
- Ed Kosior, Honorary Professor at Brunel University London, at the Wolfson Materials Processing Centre. Fellow at The Society of Plastics Engineers
- Tim Boven, Recycling Commercial Director, The Dow Chemical Company
- Jennifer Ronk, NA Sustainability and Advocacy Manager, The Dow Chemical Company
- Charles David Mathieu-Polin, Corporate Advisor – Environment and Sustainability, TC Transcontinental
- Additional Closed Loop Partners and Sustainable Packaging Coalition staff
Members of the SPC’s Multi-Material Flexible Recovery Industry Leadership Committee including: