The Essentials of Packaging and Food Waste
Developed by The Sustainable Packaging Coalition®
Part of the full Essentials of Sustainable Packaging Training ProgramSubscribe Now
The Essentials of Packaging and Food Waste explores the critical problem of food waste and the role that effective packaging design and optimization can play in preventing food waste. It begins with a review of where and how food waste occurs in the supply chain, focusing on retail and consumer environments and reviewing the data for why food is thrown away by consumers. It then examines how packaging design can help prevent food waste, but also how many of today’s packaging choices and formats can cause additional food waste. The course then dives into specific strategies for designing and optimizing packaging for food waste prevention, including features such as resealability, product evacuation, and consumer storage instructions. Finally, the Essentials of Packaging and Food Waste explores new innovations in packaging design, such as sensors, coatings, sachets, and other smart packaging that can help reduce food waste.
- Understanding Food Waste – Where and why food waste occurs across the supply chain
- Packaging’s Role in Food Waste – How packaging design and formats can prevent, but also lead to, food waste
- Design Strategies – Packaging features that protect products, extend shelf life, and promote behavior change
- Innovations for Waste Prevention – New technologies such as sensors, inserts, and smart packaging that can help with food waste prevention
Course length:1 hour 30 minutes
After taking this course, the Learner will be able to:
- Explain common reasons for food waste in consumer settings
- Understand how today’s packaging designs may be leading to food waste
- Outline specific design features that can be used to help consumers and retailers prevent food waste
- Anticipate future innovations in packaging that can prevent or reduce food waste
The Essentials of Packaging and Food Waste is included in the online subscription to The Essentials of Sustainable Packaging.