Launched: July 2011
- Yasmin Siddiqi, Global Marketing Director, DuPont
- Katherine O’Dea, Senior Director, Advisory Services and Innovation, GreenBlue
In 2010, The World Business Council for Sustainable Development released their Vision 2050 report, outlining an ambitious view of how sustainability can be achieved in a world with 50% more inhabitants than today. This work, which was the culmination of an 18-month collaboration with CEOs and experts, opens up significant questions for the packaging industry. Where will the raw materials for packaging come from? How will the relationship between waste and resources be viewed? How can an increased need for packaging be reconciled with requirements for resource efficiency and environmental stewardship? This working group formed to explore the development of answers to these important questions.
- Understand the challenges and opportunities associated with packaging in the context of the WBCSD’s Vision 2050.
- Identify other initiatives that intersect with packaging and the WBCSD’s Vision 2050 and identify voids where initiatives should be undertaken.
- Provide guidance for companies that wish to engage in related initiatives.