The Essentials of Sustainable Packaging are customized training courses that offer a comprehensive introduction to sustainability considerations that apply to the entire packaging life cycle: sourcing, design, recovery, and beyond.
Led by the SPC staff, these tailored sessions present an opportunity to bring a company’s entire staff (from packaging, marketing, management, to sustainability) up to a common level of understanding about how sustainability relates to the packaging operations. We have taught over 900 professionals from leading companies, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and educational institutions since 2008.
Courses are available to both SPC and non-SPC member companies. Discounts are available for SPC members.
Participants will learn about:
- The $11 billion elephant in the room
- Making sustainability part of your brand
- Communicating sustainability through packaging
- Case studies: from start-ups to green giants
Optimize the Design
- Leveraging the product/package system
- Retail and shelf-ready packaging
- Avoiding product and transportation waste
- Biomimicry in sustainable packaging
Design for Recovery
- Psychology of recycling
- What does recyclable even mean? Compostable?
- Fitting packaging into the infrastructure or change the infrastructure?
- Designing with an end market in mind
- Certifications: when, how and where to use them
- Primary concerns for substrate types
- Setting and reaching sourcing goals
- How packaging fits into “the whole”
- Sourcing and manufacturing during The Great Acceleration
- How to build resilience through packaging
Plus select 3 optional modules for the afternoon session:
- A family of different materials
- Bioplastics myth busting
- Sourcing and recovery considerations
- Compare and contrast bio-based recyclable resins with compostable resins
- Key considerations domestically and abroad
- Sourcing and supply chain certifications
- Recovered fiber and recycled feedstock
- Considerations for compostable plastic and fiber foodservice-ware
- Understanding residential and commercial composting access
- Compostable packaging as a vehicle for food waste diversion
We’ve taught over 900 professionals and counting! Here’s what past attendees have to say: